Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+, Maximum Age:19
Minor Decoy for the Sheriff's Office
Volunteers are needed to work with local law enforcement to ensure that businesses that sell alcohol and tobacco are not selling to minors.
Under direct law enforcement observation, the Minor Decoy will enter liquor, grocery, or convenience store in Santa Cruz County and select a nationally recognized brand of alcoholic beverage or tobacco product and take it to the counter for purchase. Once the purchase is made, the decoy shall immediately exit the premise with the alcoholic beverage/ tobacco product. Deputies will contact the decoy and photograph the decoy holding the alcoholic beverage they purchased and take possession of the receipt as evidence. The deputy and decoy shall re-enter the business. At that time the decoy shall make face-to-face identification of the seller.
Minor Decoys may be required to testify in either criminal hearings or administrative proceedings-At no time will the decoy consume any alcoholic beverages or smoke tobacco products.
This volunteer must:
• Be 18 or 19 years old
• Pass standard volunteer background process
• Valid CA Driver’s License or ID card
• Have experience interacting with people and demonstrate excellent communication skills
• Attend 1-2-hour Sheriff’s Office training course
• Must work respectfully with person(s) from diverse backgrounds
• No facial hair
• No visible tattoos
• Minimum of 4 hours a week
• Minimum of 6-month commitment
• Be available in the evenings as required
• Minor Decoys may be required to testify during normal business hours in either criminal hearings or administrative proceedings
Get Involved...Select the Red "Express Interest" button below:
**This is a Referral Opportunity, which means it is run directly by one of our nonprofit partners. Once you express interest, someone from the partner organization should follow up with you shortly to discuss confirming you as a volunteer for this opportunity.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: