Family Support Services Volunteer or Intern
The Walnut Avenue Family & Women’s Center (Walnut Avenue) is a strength-based family center. The mission of the Family Support Services program is to ensure that everyone who enters our doors feels welcomed, respected, and cared for. This department provides support to participants of other programs. FSS manages our food bank, donation room, operations (including front office), campaigns and annual event.
Please contact the front office at (831) 426-3062 to sign up for a volunteer orientation. From there, you will be connected to the opportunity coordinator.
Benefits of being a Community Relations Intern
· Acquire skills to provide strength-based and trauma-informed care
· Learn crisis intervention techniques and communication skills in a nonprofit office setting
· Opportunity to learn community relations skills including donor relations
· Gain skills in supporting the daily operations of a multi-program non-profit including administrative tasks
· Gain skills in project management, events and fundraising
· Opportunity to learn skills for managing a Food Bank/Pantry
· Support multicultural /multilingual communities
· Create social change
Roles of a FSS Intern:
Under general supervision, provide strength-based, trauma-informed, support to participants and staff at our agency. Job duties vary upon focus of interest & time commitment. Average of 4-10 hours per week.
· Front Office Support
· Food Bank/Donation Room
· Campaign support (Sept.-Dec. only)
Requirements & Qualifications:
· Complete the Walnut Avenue Volunteer Orientation
· Pass criminal background check/finger printing and application process
· Completion of the front office training (one-on-one with Front Office Manager)
· Commit to volunteer for a minimum of 3-6 consecutive months
· Attend any required meetings with agency supervisor
· Complete and return timesheet and other internship paperwork in a timely manner
· Strong communication skills, welcoming demeanor and the ability to maintain clear boundaries
· Ability to represent the agency with integrity
· Comfortable supporting participants in crisis
· Available for at least one day a week (Monday-Friday) during office hours (9am-5pm)
· Access to internet to communicate via email with agency on a regular basis
· Over the age of 18
· Bilingual helpful but not required
· Complete an exit survey upon completion of volunteer program
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Utilize the strength-based empowerment model to provide support to participants and staff
· Ability to communicate effectively with participants from diverse socio-economic, cultural and educational backgrounds to gain rapport, maintain confidence, and obtain confidential information in a tactful and courteous manner
· Ability to establish priorities to meet the needs of participants who may be under stress, in crisis, and addressing dangerous circumstances and multiple issues simultaneously
· Informed on agency programs, community programs and local resources
· Detail oriented with clear communication skills (verbal and written)
· Capable of working collaboratively and independently
· Commitment to maintain a mutually respectful & supportive work environment that values and empowers team members to collectively accomplish program goals
· Strong interpersonal skills: commitment to uphold agency Code of Conduct, confidentiality and maintain a mutually respectful, professional work environment
*Intern/Internships are usually connected with an individual receiving school credit from their college for their volunteer work with us. We are also open to creating internships for individuals that may not be getting school credit, but are willing to volunteer at least 10 hours a week for 3+ consecutive months.
It is the policy of Walnut Avenue Family & Women’s Center to provide equal employment and volunteer opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, physical disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Get Involved...Select the Red "Express Interest" button below
**This is a Referral Opportunity, which means it is run directly by one of our nonprofit partners. Once you express interest, someone from the partner organization should follow up with you shortly to discuss confirming you as a volunteer for this opportunity.
Santa Cruz, CA