Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Kids Club Volunteer
Kids Club is a program that provides childcare for parents who are seeking domestic violence services, such as meeting with an advocate or attending a support group. Kids Club facilitators supervise children between the ages of 0-11 through play, crafts, reading stories, and providing snacks as needed.
Previous experience with younger children is desired but not required.
Why It Matters
Current research shows that, in the US, 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men experience some form of abuse from an intimate partner. Domestic violence has a reciprocal relationship with other forms of abuse of power, such as racism, transphobia, and ableism, and it is the primary cause of homelessness among women. Domestic violence has profound impact on the development of children, whether or not those children directly experienced the violence themselves, and so Kids Club provides safe adult support for the child while also removing a common barrier for survivors trying to find the resources they need to improve their family’s well-being.
- Understanding of the impact of domestic violence trauma on child development
- Experience with A Window Between Worlds, an evidence-based program for creative self-expression
- Experience in supporting and caring for young children in a trauma-informed way
- Opportunity for academic credit, work experience, and other benefits for future educational or employment options
- Be 18 years or older
- Have not received domestic violence services as a participant with Walnut Avenue for a minimum of two years
- Attend a Walnut Avenue volunteer orientation
- Have appropriate boundaries and communication with young children and their parents
- Understanding and acceptance of gender non-conforming children
- Pass a fingerprinting/criminal background check
- An email which is checked regularly
- Bilingual Spanish encouraged but not required
- Commitment to 6 consecutive months of service
- Minimum one weekly shift, variable based on need (shifts are typically up to 2 hours at time)
- Background check for volunteers providing services for children and teens: $102, with option for reimbursement after 3 months of service
If cost is a barrier for you, please contact the community engagement coordinator to discuss your options without judgment at email@example.com.
To Get Started
The first step is to attend a volunteer orientation at Walnut Avenue Family & Women’s Center, which happen about twice a month/every two weeks. To hear upcoming dates and times and to register for the one which works best for you, please call our office at (831) 426-3062. If you have any questions or concerns about this process, please contact our community engagement coordinator, Marjorie Coffey, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Walnut Avenue Family & Women’s Center to provide equal employment, volunteer opportunities and services to participants (EEO) to all persons regardless of ancestry, age, color, national origin, disability (physical and mental, includes HIV and AIDS), genetic information, race, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), gender, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military or veteran, request for FMLA or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Get Involved...Select the Red "Express Interest" button below
**This is a Referral Opportunity, which means it is run directly by one of our nonprofit partners. Once you express interest, someone from the partner organization should follow up with you shortly to discuss confirming you as a volunteer for this opportunity.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: