SANTA CRUZ COUNTY COMMISSION ON DISABILITIES INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION
All VIP internships and volunteer opportunites are unpaid positions designed to give students, graduates and interested community members exposure to aspects of local government.
The Commission on Disabilities was established in 1979 by the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors to promote the interests and address the specific needs of people with disabilities through community organization, advocacy, and education and advises the Board of Supervisors on policies, legislation, and issues affecting people with disabilities.
The Intern will work with County Staff and Commissioners to create a comprehensive history of the Commission, including activities, membership, leadership, recommendations, and legislative and community impact. The history will eventually be presented in a variety of visually appealing and easily accessible formats.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Develop a work plan with County Staff containing outcomes, tasks, benchmarks, resources, and a timeline for completion.
• Research County and other available records to collect Commission history information
• Organize, analyze and prioritize information (with Commissioners/County Staff) for presentation.
• Develop interesting, creative, accessible ways to display historical data in a variety of spaces (mobile display for community events and impactful Commission history for website).
Desired Intern Characteristics: The ideal candidate would possess the following characteristics:
• Coursework in and/or experience with research methods, data collection and analysis
• Organization, accuracy and time management skills
• Creativity and an interest in visual representation of historical data in digital & physical spaces
• Interest in public policy and advancing the interests of people with disabilities
• Collaborative work style with the ability to take direction as well as initiative when appropriate
• Ability to perform essential tasks and functions related to the expected outcomes, work products and knowledge described herein
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, graphic arts software and current business technology
Special Considerations: Because this internship is with a County government agency, candidate must be able and willing to conduct themselves in a manner that best represents the Commission and the County during outreach efforts and interactions
Minimum required hours: 16 hours per week for five weeks or 8 hours per week for 10 weeks
Get Involved...Select the Red "Express Interest" button below
**This is a Referral Opportunity, which means it is run directly by one of our nonprofit partners. Once you express interest, someone from the partner organization should follow up with you shortly to discuss confirming you as a volunteer for this opportunity.
The opportunity date and time you are looking for is no longer available.
CONNECT WITH US